After a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of long term travel we have decided to spend the whole of 2018 on the road. This is a major step for us, and it will be the longest period of time we have spent away from home, our family and our friends. The temptation of doing a round the world trip was just too great, and outweighs any fears we had of being away for that length of time.
I am under no illusions as to the enormity of organising such a trip, but that is what I love doing. We love travelling, and part of the thrill is deciding where to go, where to stay, when best to visit a particular location, and what to take.
After a bit of research and much editing, this is our list of what to take for an extended round the world adventure. The list is specific to our needs, but feel free to use it as a basis for compiling your own list.
Before we leave
- Travel Insurance
- Visas – go through your list of countries and check the requirements of each one
- Extra passport photographs (in case needed for visas)
- International Drivers Permit (for Corinne)
- Increase online storage to upload photos and videos
- Change to a debit card that charges no overseas ATM fees
- Have copies of important documents in email and online storage account – including important phone numbers in case phone is lost.
- Notify bank and credit card companies of our travel plans
- A backpack with wheels, or a medium sized case with wheels. We don’t intend to take more than 20kg each to comply with a lot of budget airlines. Taking less would be too restrictive for us, taking more could incur a lot of additional luggage costs.
- A small backpack for daily use.
- Combination padlock
- Money belt
- Travel insurance policy
- Addresses & emergency numbers
- Spare passport photographs
- Drivers license and International Drivers Permit
- Photocopies of important documents
- Inoculation certificates
- Any prescriptions or medication
- Small first aid kit
- Anti malaria tablets
- Mosquito repellent
- Smart Phone – unlocked – purchase local sims when necessary
- Tablet (preload with favourite music, books, movies and travel apps)
- Chargers & travel power adapter
- SSD portable drive (for backups and additional movies / TV shows)
- Visa credit card (memorise PIN)
- Backup credit card – Mastercard
- ATM card – (memorise PIN)
- Notepad and pen
- Glasses, sunglasses, contact lens
- Long piece of string (clothes line)
- Small torch
- Zip lock bags
- Black bin bag for laundry
- Lightweight rain jacket
- 2 pairs long pants / jeans
- 2 pairs shorts
- 4 tee shirts
- Sun hat / cap
- 7 pairs of pants and socks
- Thermal vests
- Long sleeved shirt
- 2 short sleeved shirts
- 3 dresses
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Smart evening shoe
- Toothbrushes / toothpaste
- Razor / shave foam
- Hair Gel
- Hair brush
- Shampoo and conditioner
Hopefully this will all fit into our allocated 20kg per person (plus our 7kg hand luggage allowance). Doesn’t seem so bad when you write it all down, but I’m sure I must have missed something. Let me know in the comments below if I have missed anything that you would take.